Problems Cockroaches Cause For Tequesta Residents
July 27, 2018
It's unpleasant when cockroaches get into a home. Cockroaches are disgusting pests that create a terrible odor in your home and make unsettling noises as they skitter across the floor, but this is often not enough for residents of Tequesta to take appropriate action to eliminate these pests. One of the biggest reasons we don't take action to prevent cockroaches is that we don't know how harmful they really are!
It is estimated that cockroaches are able to spread over 32 kinds of bacteria including E. coli, Salmonella typhi, and Staphylococcus aureus. These pests are also linked to the spread of six parasitic worms and more than seven other human pathogens! When roaches invade pantries, food cabinets, and other areas where food is stored, they can create a significant health risk. In addition, since bacteria is passively transported on the body surfaces of cockroaches, silverware, plates, cups, and other items that cockroaches can crawl on are at risk of being contaminated as well. Roaches aren't just disgusting, they are also a health risk when they get inside homes!
Here some other problems cockroaches cause:
- Cockroaches can climb into your ear while you sleep. In a recent news story, a Florida woman went to the hospital after nine days of experiencing ear pain and found that she had a cockroach lodged in her ear canal. The emergency room doctors who treated the woman said this is not uncommon.
- Cockroaches have the potential to bite; when their populations rise above the availability of food sources, cockroaches will bite humans.
- Cockroaches don't just contaminate food, they contaminate other objects inside homes as well.
- Studies have found that the presence of cockroaches is linked to an increase in allergies, especially in those who suffer from asthma.
- Cockroaches feed on starches and may also feed on wallpaper, curtains, book bindings, and other products with adhesives.
There are a few things you can do in your Tequesta home to deter cockroaches from invading. Some methods you can implement outdoors to prevent problems with cockroaches include trimming weeds and remove organic debris around the foundation perimeter of your home, making sure external trash is sealed, inspecting your exterior walls and patching any entry point you find. In addition, keeping your home as clean as possible and storing food in airtight containers to remove food sources inside your home will help keep these bacteria-ridden pests away. If possible, keep cardboard or paper packaged items in sealed plastic containers as cockroaches can chew through cardboard and paper.
For complete exclusion and elimination, partner with Nozzle Nolen Pest Control! At Nozzle Nolen, our Gold and Platinum Pest Control Packages provide homeowners protection from the five most common species of roaches found in South Florida: German cockroaches, American cockroaches, Australian cockroaches, brown-banded cockroaches, and Asian cockroaches.
Cockroaches are more dangerous than you may think; get rid of them and keep them out with the help of the certified and experienced professionals at Nozzle Nolen Pest Control!
< Previous Next >